Steps to Successful Self-Employment
Nov. 20, 2018
12 – 1 p.m. MDT
Be the boss you want to be — your own boss!
In honour of National Entrepreneurship Month, UCalgary Alumni and the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking are partnering to give you the tools to confidently make the entrepreneurial leap.
In this webinar, you’ll learn about:
- the benefits and challenges of self-employment;
- characteristics of entrepreneurs, including common motivators and traits;
- the different types of self-employment and how to identify the best fit for you;
- how to get started, including market analysis and business plans, financing and licensing;
- other important things to consider, including operations, marketing, employees and legalities; and
- how to set yourself up for success by avoiding common pitfalls.
Meet Our SpeakersJoelle Foster is the executive director of the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking at the University of Calgary. She is best known as a spirited activist for entrepreneurship in Canada. As a director for Futurpreneur, she oversaw Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nunavut and NWT. Under her leadership, in Manitoba alone, 325 businesses have opened their doors since 2011. She has affectionately earned the title of “Startup Mom.” In recognition of her work, Joelle was the 2017 recipient of the Volunteer of the Year Award from the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.
Leighton Healey, BA’10, has been an entrepreneur for 15 years. He is passionate about solving important problems, growing companies, building world-class teams and developing leaders. Today, Leighton is the CEO of Bootkik, a Calgary-based early-stage technology company pursuing a global market.